7.17.2007

Air Conditioning

I know already before I begin writing how this post will sound in many ears and all that I ask is a little patience and understanding. Mostly I am venting and just need an ear to listen because I know my faults and short cummings already, so I don't need anyone to really recite to me how wrong my snobbish perspective is. Nevertheless, air conditioning must be the single greatest invention aside from electricity itself of course. I have been on tour all through out Europe for the past month and in just about every hotel room I've stayed in there has been no air conditioning. Some evenings that hasn't presented a problem because of the cool air no doubt but on many evenings in countries where daylight is like 20 hours a day, having no air conditioning can be a miserable experience. This morning was one of those days. We arrived in Brighton this morning and after having to wait a couple of hours for our rooms, I walked into what seemed to be an inexplicable sauna as a hotel room. Now I am exaggerating slightly but seriously the hallway felt wonderful cool and then I opened my door and was blasted with hot stale air. Already exhausted from a long nights drive and border crossing and ferry ride, I was desperately needing some sleep but of course could not because it was so hot! Finally, after a couple hours of waiting and waiting, the guest relations manager brought up a portable air conditioner and the whole situation was resolved. There is my happy little story for all to enjoy! I know as an American, I live basically in Disney Land. I mean to the rest of the world, the United States can basically be summed us as Disney Land. I can get whatever I want when I want, and there is reasonably nothing that inhibits me in any way. This is a joke to the rest of the world and I have had the opportunity to really see that this past month. I will post more on this later but right now, I am still a bit amazed that with temperatures on the incline every year there are so many places with out a/c! Why doesn't Bono fight for that now!

2 comments:

Mark said...

I can seriously relate. I even get mad at myself when my own air conditioning is too warm. Hope you got some rest regardless. You're cool to me.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.